Friday, January 22, 2010

Haiti on my mind


Days after the earthquake in Haiti, just now it is hitting me.  I have avoiding soaking it in.  Minimizing the time I watch or read the news.  Being a therapist, hearing about pain on a daily basis, the last thing I want to hear about is more sadness.  To see pain on a nationwide scale is unfathomable.  Pure shock.  I recently have explored the idea of going to Haiti (before deciding on Jamaica).  I had read a recent article in the Conde Nast Travel Magazine proclaiming it's praises.  Wyclef Jean quoted as saying Haiti's "future is bright." And it will be, with time, and healing from the world watching.

 I see the rescues on television, witnessing the gratitude of being saved.  Their faith in God and their culture is sung in makeshift homes, churches, or anywhere that can be heard.   I know looting, theft, and violence has also been looming.  Yet it is the strength that needs to remain prevalent in my memories of these moments.  A patient once told me he was able to get past the death of a friend through knowing that the pain in loss brought changes in himself and those around them.  Sadly grief unites us.  And the world needs to collectively heal.

I got sucked into watching the telethon for Haiti.  Impressed by the celebrities and musicians who offered their time.  I notice generally the same familiar faces frame the screen.  Momentarily their narcissism diminishes to be a vehicle for the message to remind it is our human duty to give.

Money, prayers, discussion, volunteer work, blogs, posts.  All payments accepted.

No comments:

Post a Comment